4/14/2009

Late-Comer

Every week walking into FFL proves to be a new experience. Today I was running late, so I came after things had picked up momentum. I have a new responsibility every night. Tonight i walked and was promptly handed gloves and around 15 bags of bananas to unbag. As i donned the metaphorical 'what can i tackle next' apron, i was presented with chopping the ham to put in grits. I progressed through these tasks and the worship started in the next room. As Atsen played through the songs, we shredded and demolished our way through the ham with the extremely dull chef knives procured from the left-hand drawer of the stainless steel island.

After the message, we brought the food out to the serving line. The food tonight was superb: grits 'n ham, chicken celery rice, brownie bites, cheese bread, peach cobbler, and of course the fruit of the week: bananas. My favorite job at FFL is serving food; that way i get to at least communitcate with each person individually. I have come to know people both by name and by habitual food preferences. For instance, Three Helpings customarily declined the banana, as did Chicken Hawk (as he referred to himself a couple weeks back upon receiving a fourth helping of chicken wings). But Jolly Man accepted his fruit-of-the-day with a wide smile and a 'thank you very much young lady!'

I love serving these people. I love listening to their bantering when they pass my food item of the night. I love to tease them for not eating enough fruit or vegetables. These people are such a joy to serve and I hope that I may continue in this ministry for a long time to come!
~Leslie (Guest Blogger)