9/13/2008

Hug the Homeless


When you hug a homeless person, you can expect to smell like a homeless person. We don't normally hug people because most would not appreciate that kind of attention. But last Tuesday it was necessary and appreciated by one individual who was distraught. He had apparently over dosed on drugs the previous week and was revived at the hospital. It scared him and the way he dealt with that was by drinking. Tuesday night he showed up intoxicated and constantly talking about his brush with death. Anthony and I talked with him and put our arms around him and prayed that God would save him and protect him on the street. He cried and hugged us back as we ministered to him. On the way home, I had to roll down the windows because of the smell. It made me think about him and all the others who come down town. I wondered where they had been during the week and where they would sleep each night. Even the next day, I could still remember that smell which reminded me to pray for all of our friends downtown who have no hope.

Last Tuesday we are grateful for 14 volunteers who were willing to take time out of their busy schedule to serve 65 hot meals to the less fortunate in Greenville. I will never take them for granted.
~Marc