9/07/2007

Smiling Faces, Serving Hands


We are so blessed at Food for Life Ministries to have wonderful volunteers that donate their time every week. The ministry started with Paul and his parents giving of themselves to those in need, but due to God’s blessings being bestowed upon the ministry, and because of the contagious nature of the passion of Paul for the homeless and impoverished community, the volunteer ministry has grown to the point that presently there is an average of ten to twenty volunteers who contribute to FFLM on a weekly basis. We would like to periodically high light specific volunteers that have given of their time to the ministry on a regular basis because it is so meaningful to be able to get to know their motivation for giving their time, energy, emotion, and prayers to these people that are in such great need each week at FFLM. We would like to high light Ann Brewton and Sandy Scaringi who along with 12 other volunteers served 72 meals this week.

~ Charity

As written by Ann Brewton,

“I first heard of FFLM from my son, Mark. He came home and shared with us Paul's vision for the ministry and it just rang a bell. I had wanted to be involved in some sort of ministry for quite some time, but in many ministries it's hard when you work during the day, and up until this point in my life I've been pretty busy being a mom. I took care of my own mother for over twenty years until the Lord called her home ten years ago, and of course I have cared for my own three children. Even though my heart desired ministry, my plate was full. I'm still pretty busy, but I just knew this was the time. The amazing thing is that many nights I am very tired and everything in me says stay home, but I go anyway and somehow the Lord just re-energizes me, and when we're all finished for the night I'm always glad I went.

Also there is a personal reason I come. I have a sister who is basically living the same kind of life as those we minister to at FFLM. She is in jail right now, but I pray that somehow the Lord will use this jail experience in her life to draw her to Himself. I also know that but for the grace of God any of us could be in the same situation as so many of the men and women who attend FFLM..... slaves to alcohol, drugs, etc., and I pray that the Lord will begin a revival there among those attending, but also in all of our hearts.

I love Paul's philosophy regarding the ministry.....the Word of God is much more important than the food that is served. I know they are hearing the Word preached each Tuesday before they are served a meal. I also know many are hungry (for the Word of God and the food), but the Word of God is what is going to change them, because it is the only thing that has ever changed us......it is certainly not our own works.”

I have been impacted most during my volunteer experience by “how precious the body of Christ is. It is a blessing to see so many different volunteers, young and old (me), from different churches, and with different personalities all working together.

Another thing I love observing is watching the men interact with the homeless men. I love to see them sitting with the homeless men, eating with them and talking to them, working on friendships....that's what it's going to take for them to trust.”

As written by Sandy Scaringi,

“I first heard about Food for Life almost two years ago when another family in our shepherding group met Paul and was volunteering. We were looking for a fall mission project and decided that we would offer to do a special Thanksgiving dinner the week before Thanksgiving (2005). It was so exciting and such a special blessing for me to be involved because at that point, Adam, our oldest son was living on the streets on the West Coast. I knew that he was eating at places like Food for Life some days. I believe that God has given me the spiritual gift of helping those in need, and it gives me great joy in serving others...God gets all the credit and praise for this!! God taught me long ago that except for God's grace I could be anywhere and capable of any sin...going each week is such a wonderful reminder of this important truth!

I receive more of the blessings on Tuesday nights than I give! It has been exciting to see how God opens people's hearts as we meet physical needs...and how He supplies the resources to meet those physical needs. One of my favorite things each week is to be able to speak encouraging words to our guests and give a big smile...reminding them of how happy we are to see them and how much God loves them! Many of them remind me of those things! It has also been so encouraging to serve along other brothers and sisters in Christ and see everyone's joy in serving! I have especially enjoyed getting to serve along with two of my sons and husband on many occasions! It has been an encouragement to watch other families serving together too! I thank God each week for the grace and mercy that He shows me in allowing me to participate in this wonderful ministry!!”