8/16/2007

First Time Reader


Deborah Camp has been attending the Bible studies at Food for Life Ministries for about three years. She has had a very supportive attitude toward Paul and the ministry during the years that she has attended.

About two years ago, I met Deborah for the first time, which was actually the first evening that I started volunteering at Food for Life. I began spending a little bit of time talking to her every week. A few weeks after I met her, she asked me what I did for a job, and I told her that I teach abstinence education now but that I had taught students with learning disabilities how to read and write for several years.

As soon as she realized that I had taught reading to kids with learning struggles, she said, "You could teach me." I really did not believe that she was serious, so I just shrugged it off as a passing comment. Every week after that for about six weeks Deborah asked me if I would teach her how to read. After about the sixth request I told her that I would teach her if she would come an extra hour early every week. Once again, I did not believe that she would be consistent about coming early, because she obviously does not drive since she cannot read and write. Starting the very next week, which was exactly one year ago, she made sure she was there an hour early unless she called in advance to tell us that she could not be there.

The first week I gave her an assessment and discovered that she could not even put the alphabet in order. She has six children, none of which she has custody of, and she was told that she could not keep her children because of the fact that she cannot read and write. Her greatest reason for learning to read is her desire to be able to see her children again.

Paul and I soon realized that one of her greatest hindrances was the fact that she could not see the words on the pages well because of poor eyesight. We were able to get her some glasses, which was a noticeable help to her.

One year later, she has now learned all of the letters in the alphabet and the sounds that each letter makes. She has learned how to spell many words and read and write sentences that follow basic phonics rules. She has a long way to go, but using the Wilson Reading and Writing program is going to be so helpful to her in the long run.

One day we hope to be able to have a tutoring program for Deborah and others which would be available more than once a week and would help her to move forward at a much faster pace. We are praying that God will give us a building that will have the capacity to host dinners, Bible studies, and a tutoring room. We will see what God will do!

This week we had ten volunteers, all of which also attend North Hills Community Church. We served 92 meals, and the individuals eating the food seemed to really enjoy it. We are thankful for what is happening and hopeful for what will happen in the future.

~Charity