7/25/2010

Regulars


Even though he is a large man, most would not know he was in the room because of his quiet nature. He usually comes in and heads for the back of the room and stays mostly to himself. But tonight he seemed a little agitated. I know him by name because he has been around since the start of Paul’s ministry. Usually he will acknowledge me by a few words and go about his business of getting some food. I remember years ago, I asked him if he believed in God and his response was “only a fool wouldn’t”. However, further discussions at that time revealed that he didn’t believe in the deity of Christ.

He walked up to me and placed a little book in the palm of my hand. The title was “Love”. I flipped through the pages and it appeared to be poems. On the inside cover I noticed there was a list of names he had written. I asked him about the names and he said the first one below his was his sister whom he has not seen for 22 years. The second one was his brother. I couldn’t read his shaky hand writing so asked him his brother’s name. He told me and then asked if he had spelled it correctly. Before I could ask about the other name he abruptly went in the room where Paul was preaching. I learned later that he caused a few problems although none that Paul could not handle. It was like he was a different person tonight.

One of our other regulars proudly showed me a letter from a local college that accepted him for the fall semester. As I looked at the letter I wondered about the address since he changes addresses often. He told us how the college had arranged for a loan from the Department of Education to be repaid later when he gets a job. He hoped to receive an Associates Degree as a paralegal. Later as we gave him a ride to a friend’s house, he said that most of the homeless spend too much time listening to their thoughts like “you will always be homeless” or “you will never get a job”, but he says he ignores those thoughts and just keeps on trying. He still has hope for the future.

Tonight, we served 92 meals with the assistance of 18 volunteers. It seems we are getting more people as the temperature rises. A cool auditorium for a few hours is better than hanging out on the street in the sweltering heat.
~Marc