6/23/2010

It is Sad


It is sad to witness the condition of many who cannot resist the devastating effect of stimulants on their body and spirit. Also, it is sad when it not only affects them but also others. The purpose each Tuesday night is to share the gospel and love on others. But when someone can’t stand up and wants to stumble in while Paul is preaching, you know things could go very wrong.

That is what happened this week. When I saw him I knew there would be trouble. But I thought to myself, maybe not this time. But I should not have ignored the signs of trouble. I wasn’t in the room but I could see through the window. Everyone was standing up in the corner and two men were yelling at each other. Many immediately took control and ushered both from the room. Unfortunately, they continued their disagreement on the side walk. One hit the other and he fell in the street even though others were trying to break up the fight. I knew at that point that I had to call 911.

Two patrol cars showed up and everyone scattered. Some took off across the street and others that were helping to break up the fight went back into the building for the rest of the sermon. No one was arrested and everyone calmed down. It was a good outcome to a very tense situation. I guess many of the homeless experience this many times each week but we don’t deal with this very often. Most are very respectful and some even grateful for the food and fellowship. But our desire is to reach everyone so we can not turn some away just because there might be trouble.
~Marc