7/18/2009

Homeless Have Talent

I am amazed that many of the homeless have talents. I don’t know why I feel this way since all of us have different gifts whether we are homeless or not. I know there can be different reasons why each of us don’t use our gifts for our benefit as well as others. One such person is Shawn (right in picture), can detail a car like I have never seen. He worked on this Corvette for over two hours and detailed it out for any car show. It was obvious he was not doing this totally for the money, but that he really took pride in his accomplishment. I would highly recommend him.

Then there is William; he makes walking sticks. Not just any old walking stick but he carves pictures and symbols in the wood. Any hiker would love to show off one of his creations. Every Tuesday he comes in with one that he is working on. I enjoy seeing the progress he is making and marvel at his skill.

Also, there is David. He does not create anything that I know of. He just reads a lot. I mean he reads walking down the street. Now to me, that is quite an accomplishment. On Tuesday nights I enjoy checking out his novels and sharing with him books that I read. But he is not only a reader but also a singer. One Tuesday night we finished singing some hymns and was just getting ready to pray for the food when all of sudden he started singing a hymn acapela. We were shocked that he was singing so well. It was a special night for all of us.

All of these individuals are homeless. Some live on the street or may live at the Salvation Army or the Mission. We realize each week that their position in life does not define their God given talents and gifts. They all want to express themselves and enjoy the fruit of their labor. Some times it can be difficult to do that on the street.
~Marc