6/17/2009

Temptation Has a Name


When we left the house it was raining cats and dogs. It was one of those summer thunder storms that most of the homeless hate because they can not get out of the rain. Who wants a homeless person coming into their retail establishment just to avoid rain? I prayed that it would stop until we got to Triune Mercy Center so I could get the door open for everyone.

It did stop raining and when we arrived most everyone was sitting on the brick ledge at the side of the building smoking or congregating around the door. I used the combination lock to open the door and you would not believe how fast some of these guys can move. It was like they were waiting all day for this to happen. As they poured into the cool auditorium, I noticed them taking chairs down off the tables and placing the plastic forks on the table for the meal. It seemed that they just wanted to do some thing to be productive by performing these small tasks. Most of these always try to assist us; the others usually don’t show up until the end of the preaching so they can get their meal. I quickly went into the kitchen and prepared a container of ice water to quench their thirst. Also, the tea would be prepared now, but would be served later with the meal.

I went to the back of the room to talk to some of the homeless before the preaching. One individual who spoke to me wanted some money. Most usually ask for $1.50 to $2.00 for bus fare. Some times I wonder if maybe it is for a can of beer. Many that have had the same request, I could smell beer on their breath. I always suspect some of their stories are not true, but I do feel sorry for them and give in some times. Tonight though, I told him I did not have any money. He suggested I ask around for him which I promptly declined. I was not in the mood for panhandling for someone else.

I talked to another couple of obvious friends. They told me they were Christians and had to stick together because there is so much temptation on the street. I thought to myself that there is too much temptation every where. They kept talking about the Pharaoh and how he keeps talking to them, but they have been ignoring him. One said to the other “do you remember when the Pharaoh showed up on the Haney Street”. The other responded, “yes, but I told him he was wasting his time”. It was obvious that the Pharaoh is the one they fight against every day. It seems to be helpful to identify this tempter with a personal name so they can tell him “to get lost”. I told them that I did not expect the Pharaoh to show up tonight and they both agreed. Paul continued preaching on the book of James which has a lot to say about temptation. If you are a Christian, temptation can make you stronger but if you are not, it will just “tick you off”.

We continue to have about the same number of folks each Tuesday. We served 67 meals with 12 volunteers. We finished about 8:30 pm and as I was leaving, I saw Paul following a couple with a baby to the gas station. They needed fuel for their car so he could continue looking for a job on Wednesday. You don’t have to be homeless to be in need. You can just be an innocent child with parents who have no means of support.
~Marc