3/22/2009

Guest Blogger

Dear readers,

My perceptions from attending Food For Life are in the paragraphs and possibly the entries to follow. What I've seen at FFL are people who may not be used to serving serve, and those who aren't used to being served sitting and enjoying a meal prepared especially for them. The love that these people receive from the people with FFL is unrivaled.

I'm sorry that i must ask you to forgive the late post. I have many excuses that I could use, but none of which would be satisfactory or the whole truth (as the whole truth is that I am basically just a failure at doing things on time). The following is my journal entry from last Tuesday night after attending FFL.

'I walked in the United Ministries kitchen at 6:41pm, and already the place was buzzing with activity. People were chopping and washing and peeling and unbagging and unwrapping and, in short, creating culinary masterpieces.....ok.....maybe not MASTERPIECES, but when assembled with love, the simplest dish can become a true work of art. As I began to search out an area that needed assistance, conversations and light banter whirled back and forth over my head. The chef at the stove let out a loud, deep, belly-laugh at the comment made by the young man chopping zucchini in the far corner. Smiles lit the faces of all in earshot. I decided that the workers had everything under control in the kitchen, and moved to the cafeteria to see if i could be of more assistance there. Already the room was filling up with people, both workers and homeless. Walking into this room filled with hungry, hurting, lonely, mistreated, and unloved people made me realize what an awesome God we serve; He would take the least assuming of us and make us heirs with his own Son, the Maker of heaven and earth. It's absolutely incredible.

The realization that sometimes we consciously or subconsciously think we are better than those who have no home or are addicted to drugs or alcohol made me sick. I am such a selfish, undeserving person to even hint at thinking I am better than anyone in that room. I am here to glorify my Savior, and for that reason alone. Who am I to think that God, who by HIS mercy and grace alone decided to create me to live for Him, would love these people any less than He loves me?

Later that evening during the worship service, all the songs were about grace. Once again I was pointed to how inept I am versus how capable and loving God is. A man two seats down from me shushed another man when he spoke too loudly during the message. He then turned back to face Paul with wrapped attention. He followed along in a borrowed bible the whole message, then quietly closed it and returned it to it's shelf after the message was over.

The rest of the night went smoothly with joking between servers and those waiting in line, serious conversations over hot meals, and the worship team jammin out on the small stage. The workers are few, but the harvest is many. As the night ended, that sentence reverberated through my brain. We are the workers. May I never forget that I have been called to harvest right where I've been placed.'

God is alive and well in the inner city of Greenville, SC. We would be sadly mistaken to believe otherwise. Prayer is essential to FFL's success though. Continue to partner with us in prayer to our great God that He would soften hearts, release those in darkness, and free those in bondage.

- Leslie Dye