8/11/2008

Our Tax Dollars Help


Recently, I heard a statement that “bums should not be allowed in the library because they do not pay taxes". I thought at the time that I should have reminded this person that the library is for the public; like public roads. We don’t check with someone walking down a public street to determine if they pay taxes. I think her real concern was being around the homeless. She would rather see these individuals spend their time away from public buildings and more time around ministries such as soup kitchens or homeless shelters. I agree that these ministries are important to the homeless, but I think the public library also provides a real service to the homeless in Greenville. It is a place where they can find a cool place in the summer and a warm place in the winter. So what, if they take a snooze in a chair, I have done the same thing. But more importantly, the library provides a means for the homeless to stay in touch with their families through email. This service could be instrumental in reestablishing a connection with families that could help them get off the street.
.
The library is not a ministry such as Food for Life, but it does provide a real service for the less fortunate who live on the streets. I am grateful that my tax dollars are used help those who do not pay taxes.
~Marc