10/25/2007

Street Stories

I guess I have known him for about 3 years. I don’t see him every week but maybe once or twice a month. He started coming on Tuesday nights when we held our meetings downtown at the Carpenter’s Cellar. He had a full time job and came each week to volunteer. One night he proudly made a $50.00 donation to our ministry. He told me stories of eating out of trash cans when he was homeless. It was hard to believe. Now it is not hard to believe. Tonight he asked me if I could spare 25 cents. I am thinking, "What can you get for that amount of money?" It broke my heart. Two weeks ago he told me he had quit drinking. He was very proud. This week he was back to his old habits. He told me that he had been through so many programs that he could teach them. I told him to cry out to God for mercy and turn his life over to the One that can satisfy all our needs.

At the same table another person was listening to us. I had never met him, but he seemed interested in our conversation. He told me he was using and selling drugs but he knew it was destroying him. I had an opportunity spend some time talking and praying with him. I encouraged him to get some type of accountability if he is really serious about changing his lifestyle. I think he realized he could become like my other friend in a few short years.

A few weeks ago, I posted a picture and an interview of Rico. Rico had requested a copy of the picture that I posted. I enlarged the picture for him and gave it to him Tuesday night. He was delighted and ordered 5 more prints. He wanted to mail them to some of his family. I am thankful for capabilities to print photos on home computers or otherwise I would be running to the store and ordering more prints.

There are as many stories as there are homeless. Most each Tuesday night just need someone to talk with them and show them that someone cares. They don’t receive this care in the community and not even among themselves. We are privileged to serve them by showing some act of kindness. Sometimes it is listening to their stories and other times it may be providing a picture. Jesus said if you have done it to the least of these, you have done it unto me.

We were pleased to spend time with our friends last Tuesday night and provide 82 meals with the assistance of 16 volunteers. May God through Jesus Christ get all the glory.
~Marc